August 23, 2010

The 10 Rules of Cheering on Dad as He Makes Breakfast

Breakfast is a Dad's meal. We eat it. We love it. If our wives would let us, we'd name our children after it. It's the most important meal of the day according to physicians, medical consultants and the sales department at IHOP. So when it comes to crafting a tasty, mouthwatering spread of bacon, sausage, eggs, pancakes, French toast, fruit (and by "fruit" I mean more bacon) and orange juice (and by "orange juice" I mean more "fruit"), there's only one person in each household who will give it the kind of love, care and dedication it needs.

Relax Mom, Dad's got this one covered. 

Just like we are hardwired to squish bugs and make poor fashion decisions, we are hardwired to cook the most awesome breakfasts. That's right! In fact, we cook it in such a scrumptious way that our taste buds go back in time and forgive college-us for feeding college-taste-buds nothing but Ramen Noodles. (Note: Taste buds still unwilling to forgive college-us for drinking Natty Lite).

Now I've never claimed to be good at much1, but breakfast is one frontier I've conquered. I come from a long line of gourmet breakfast Chefs. From my great-great-great-great grandpappy Klems, who I've heard invented the donut, all the way to Roger "My Dad" Klems, who has been credited with inventing heartburn, a fine strand of DNA has been passed along to me—one that makes weekend mornings delicious.

Unfortunately, one thing I've noticed in today's kids is that they don't know how to appreciate Dad when he's making breakfast. They don't realize the precious art form they're witnessing. Instead of fawning over you like the Breakfast Picasso that you are, they sit there like lumps on the couch, watching TV and sneezing in your drink when you aren't looking.

To remedy that, I've come up with The 10 Rules of Cheering on Dad as He Makes Breakfast:
    Rule 1: Never ask Dad what he's making for breakfast. Doesn't matter what he's cooking—it will be awesome.   
    Rule 2: Use magnetic letters on the fridge to spell out "Dad is my Hero." (If you have to, use upside "p" for second "d" in Dad). 
    Rule 3: Applaud each time Dad flips the pancakes.  
    Rule 4: If you have "I *heart* Dad" T-shirts, wear them. If not, skip to Rule 6. 
    Rule 5: SECRET NOTE TO THOSE WHO HAVE "I *HEART* DAD" T-SHIRTS: Dad loves you more than his other kids.  
    Rule 6: No Foam Fingers. Non-negotiable. None of us want to relive the We-Almost-Caught-Our-Kitchen-On-Fire incident of 2008.  
    Rule 7: If a sausage link starts to roll off the fryer and Dad saves it with his spatula, yell "WEB GEM!" and then sing the SportsCenter "Da da da ... da da da."  
    Rule 8: Argue over who loves Dad the most. This will often net you two extra pieces of bacon.  
    Rule 9: As Dad shuffles the eggs onto the plates, start chanting "MVP! MVP!" Then do the wave.  
    Rule 10: After Dad turns off the stove, ask him to do it again, but this time in slow motion so you can "savor the moment."
Read these rules carefully. Memorize them. Pass them along to your children. I know they may sound silly, but I also know that Dad will appreciate his family appreciating him. And if you're not willing to thank him for making a good breakfast, at least thank him for not naming you Bacon3.

1That's a lie. I claim to be good at everything—except for predicting the future2.
2That is also a lie. I can predict the future.
3This is not a joke. He really wanted to name you Bacon. 

The Life of Dad is updated every Tuesday. Thanks for stopping by and following my attempts to be a good dad, husband and co-ed softball player. I hope you visit again. -- Brian

7 comments:

SoMo Mom said...

Rule #6 cracks me up... btw, your girls are adorable and look exactly alike!!

Mike W. said...

Love the WEB GEM rule. Depending on the catch, it should be included on Baseball Tonight...

Wise One said...

One of my children will be named Bacon.

Tom said...

Though I am disappointed by your omission of the breakfast potato as part of your feast, I do enjoy your rules.

I also believe that Bacon might be a good name for the future Fleming.

Mitch said...

Nice use of the extra letter "p" for "Dad is my hero". :)

Katie said...

Just noticed the "writing" on the fridge with magnetic letters...love it!

Kevin said...

For what it's worth, show me a guy who can tell the difference between natty, Bud, Miller, Coors, and I'll show you a liar.